Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather has been stripped of the WBO welterweight belt he won in May after beating Manny Pacquiao.
The decision has been made after the 38-year-old failed to comply with the organization’s rules, which included paying the WBO a $200,000 sanctioning fee by the 3 July deadline.
Mayweather had been expected to relinquish the title by now and had pledged to do so following his points victory over Pacquiao.
“The WBO world championship committee is allowed no other alternative but to cease to recognize Mr. Floyd Mayweather Jr. as the WBO welterweight champion of the world and vacate his title for failing to comply with our WBO regulations of world championship contests,” said a statement on wboboxing.com.
Mayweather holds two other alphabet welterweight world titles (the WBA and WBC belts) which is against WBO rules which forbids boxers from holding world titles in multiple weight classes.
The rules state that the WBO will allow a fighter 10 days to decide which weight class he wants to continue to hold the title in, if he wins one in another weight division. Mayweather was given a two-month margin to decide.
Fellow American Timothy Bradley will now become the full belt holder while the 38-year-old has until 20 July to appeal against the decision.
After defeating Pacquiao on May 2 in a 147-pound unification fight, Mayweather declared he would vacate all his titles in order to give younger fighters the chance to win belts.
Enjoying his millions
His camp was displeased by the ruling.
“It’s a complete disgrace,” Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN.com. “Floyd will decide what, or if any, actions he will take. But in the meantime he’s enjoying a couple of hundred million he made from his last outing and this has zero impact on anything he does.
“Floyd Mayweather has a great deal of respect for each and every organization, as he has always had in his 19-year career, but he will not be dictated to by any organization or person as it relates to his decision making.”
Mayweather is expected to stage one more fight in Las Vegas on 12 September, but has yet to name his opponent.
Follow us on Twitter: @Four4TwoMedia