BY STEVE AYOO
Wazito FC and Kisumu All Stars romped their way into the 2019-20 Kenyan Premier League with identical 7-1 wins over St. Joseph and Thika United respectively to gain promotion from the National Super League.
The promotion race to next season’s topflight went down to the wire with the duo, placed first and second ahead of the season finale, gunning for the two automatic slots alongside Nairobi Stima who was only third due to an inferior goal difference.
Kisumu and Wazito both turned on the destruction buttons, much to the demerit of Stima whose 4-2 win at Eldoret Youth just wasn’t enough.
At the Camp Toyoyo, Joe Wathira netted a hat-trick for Wazito with Amos Asembeka adding a brace while Derrick Onyango and Paul Acquah claimed one each to help the moneybags earn an immediate return to the top tier following last season’s relegation.
Kisumu meanwhile returned to the big boys’ league after a 20-year absence by giving already relegated hosts Thika a rude send-off.
Ian Motanda and Eric Otieno both grabbed a brace for Kisumu with Moses Odhiambo and Alvin Ochieng’ also netting.
Wazito, coached by former Kenyan international Fred Ambani won the championship with 81 points with Kisumu and Stima both a point adrift.
Stima’s consolation for an inferior goal difference to Kisumu is a promotion playoff against Posta Rangers who finished third from bottom in the 2018-19 Kenyan Premier League.
Meanwhile Green Commandos, Thika United and Kangemi All-stars will play Division One football next season after their relegation was confirmed.
A total of 46 goals were scored in the 10 games played.
Season Finale Results
- Kenya Police 2-2 Ushuru (Karuturi Grounds)
- Migori Youth 2-0 Kangemi All-Stars (Awendo Stadium)
- Fortune Sacco 2-2 Modern Coast Rangers (Kianyaga Stadium)
- Kibera Black Stars 1-2 Nairobi City Stars (Hope Center)
- Green Commandos 2-3 Coast Stima (Bukhungu Stadium)
- Wazito 7-1 St. Joseph’s Youth (Camp Toyoyo)
- Administration Police 0-1 Bidco United (Ruaraka Grounds)
- Thika United 1-7 Kisumu All Stars (Thika Stadium)
- Shabana 3-1 FC Talanta (Gusii Stadium)
- Eldoret Youth 2-4 Nairobi Stima (Eldoret Show Grounds)