Porous Gor Mahia Survive Sofapaka Scare

Gor Mahia’s leaky defence was once again the catalyst of two dropped points as they let slip a two-goal lead to settle for a 3-3 draw against Sofapaka in their Kenyan Premier League clash at the Machakos Stadium.

First half goals from Bernard Ondiek and Meddie Kagere had given Kogalo what should have been a comfortable half time lead but after Kepha Aswanu pulled one back for the 2009 league champions, Dylan Kerr’s side crumbled.In a team that had only four retained from the side that played to a barren stalemate against USM Alger in the CAF Confederations Cup, Kogalo bossed the opening half which started with a disallowed goal from Ephraim Guikan in the first minute.

The visitors would take the lead after 9 minutes, a lucky one as Willis Ouma’s attempted clearance coming off Kagere.

There were chances for Batoto ba Mungu to draw level but Umaru Kasumba and Kevin Kimani both failed to convert one on one chances against Gor Mahia keeper Boniface Olouch.

It was yet another defensive mistake that handed Kogalo their second goal as Ondiek headed home following a poor clearance from Yussuf Mohammed halfway into the opening interval.

Sofapaka head coach John Baraza made the first substitution of the match just three minutes after the second goal as former Bandari midfielder Humphrey Okoti gave way to front man Stephen Waruru.

Waruru and Kimani both had chances to pull a goal back for Sofapaka but both efforts went begging as the half time whistle brought to an end a fairly entertaining half.[08:50, 5/21/2018] Koop: Charles Momanyi’s injury saw Kerr introduce Joash Onyango into the game just before the restart. Yet it was Paka who continued to press and finally got their goal in the 51st minute, slamming home after being put through by Kimani.

Aswani then shot over from inside the box while Kimani saw his chipped effort kiss the upright as the hosts pressed for the leveler.

Gor Mahia barely threatened on the other end but when they did, Sofapaka keeper Mathias Kigonya was alert as he kept out gilt-edged efforts from Kagere and Guikan.
Sofapaka substitute Ezekiel Okare, a replacement for Kasumba, stepped up with two goals within 5 minutes to give his side a 3-2 lead and just within two minutes of inflicting Gor Mahia their first loss of the season.

However, the 16-time champions drew level with their last push of the match as Wafula thundered home in added time to earn his team a point.

Although they protected their unbeaten run, Kogalo’s defence should be a main course of worry for boss Kerr, whose side have now conceded at least TWO goals in each of their last five league matches. They nevertheless keep their advantage at the top with 31 points, three better than Ulinzi Stars and with two games in hand.

Sofapaka are 5th on 25 points.


Leave a Reply