Sharks Gorge Tusker as Leopards Lose Spot

Twice at the overused, barely-managed Camp Toyoyo Grounds, a middle-sized twenty-something-year-old lad, donning an all-green kit with a No 20 printed on the back sprung as high up as his muscles could elevate him to give his own rendition of Cristiano Ronaldo’s famous goal celebration.

His execution of the celebration showed there’s been enough rehearsals around it, and the second was better than the first.

Individual goals achieved.

As far as team goals go, Eric Kapaito had scored the second of his twin goals that all but buried Tusker FC who dared to hint they still had some fight in them despite falling behind more than once against Kariobangi Sharks, Kapaito’s side.

The floodgates of this goal-crazy match were opened inside two minutes, Henry Juma punishing a goalkeeping mistake from Patrick Matasi. Sharks were deserving of a half time lead but Geoffrey Shiveka’s handball inside the box meant Timothy Otieno had the honours of ensuring parity at the interval via a spot kick, which he did.

Juma again had his side up 7 minutes after the breather, delicately lobbing the ball over Matasi, then Kapaito happened as he drove home from distance to make it 3-1 and wheel away in celebration the best he knows how, ala Cristiano Ronaldo.

Tusker, as I warned earlier, refused to fold as John Kamau made it within a goal to a draw at the hour mark.

Then Kapaito happened, again, the striker netting his second and Sharks’ fourth with 15 minutes to go. Harrison Mwendwa, he who is an unadulterated amalgam of speed, made it 5-2 to hand the Brewers their heaviest defeat of the season, and head coach Robert Matano one of the heaviest in his career.

An hour drive or so away, AFC Leopards fans were left bitter as they watched their side create little in a barren draw against visiting Bandari. The result could perhaps have been different had technology been ‘bae’ this side of the world, or had the officials been interested in doing their job say at 88%.

A much protested penalty against Bandari was taken by Alex Orotomal but his effort hit the underside of the bar before crossing the line. The referee felt it wasn’t a goal and never gave it, perhaps feeling guilty he rewarded the penalty in the first place.

Beer cans, water bottles and stones were deemed necessary punishment against the officials as they made their way into the dressing room at final whistle.

By Steve Ayoo (@Steifmaster88)


Leave a Reply